Rhodes City, East & West Coast of the Island, Lunch Break
Full Day Private Shore Excursion 8:00 hours
RHODES MEDIEVAL CITY
From the cruise ship dock/pier we drive to the Medieval City (World Heritage Site—UNESCO) and we will stop at the most important monuments for pictures from outside.
RHODES NEW TOWN
We continue out of the Medieval City and visit: “Rhodes New Town”
The Old Harbor and the Historical buildings. (Stop Visit Photos)
The North Point of the Island
ACROPOLIS OF RHODES TOWN
The Acropolis of Rhodes, the temple of Apollo, the Greek Stadium, and Ancient Theatre. (Stop Visit Photos)
ST PAUL’S BAY - VILLAGE AND ACROPOLIS OF LINDOS
We will then drive 50 kilometers / 32 miles southeast to Lindos, where will visit the St. Paul’s Bay, the village, and the Acropolis of Lindos. (Stop Visit Photos)
RHODES TRADITIONAL POTTERY ART
On the way you can choose an optional short stop at a pottery workshop where the traditional pottery of Rhodes is made. You can even learn the mystery of the Pythagorean cup. Just let your tour/driver know that you wish to make this short stop.
BREAK FOR LUNCH
On the way back from Lindos, we stop for a relaxing lunch right on the water’s edge at a seaside village restaurant on the Mediterranean Sea, which offers fresh seafood, Rhodian cuisine, and excellent local wines, there are also vegetarian options or dishes.
SCENIC DRIVE FROM THE EAST TO THE WEST COAST
Our tour resumes with a scenic drive through the Island from the East to the West Coast, stopping at:
VALLEY OF THE BUTTERFLIES
The Valley of the Butterflies, one of the most attractive destinations on the island and one of the most unusual biotopes in Europe. This site is beautifully arranged with wooden bridges. From Mid-June to Mid-September thousands of multi-colored butterflies of the genus Panaxia come here to reproduce. (We drive you to the upper gate so you can walk downhill, easier). (Stop Visit Photos)
FREE WINE TASTING
A traditional (boutique) winery for free wine tasting, Athiri, Red Wine Mandilari, Muscat, Cabernet Sauvignon…Souma (distillate of wine). Winemakers are using organic growth and organic process for the vineyards and wines. Here you can get your pictures of the ageing facilities. (Stop Visit Taste Photos)
The drive continues to the northwest and the Ancient Acropolis of Ialyssos: We drive up to Filerimos hill; Here you can have a truly panoramic view of Ialyssos bay and the west coast of the Island. You can visit the Church of our Lady of Filerimos, the remains of the Temple of Athena, and the Filerimos monastery (Stop Visit Photos)
BACK TO THE SHIP (or to the starting point)
We drive through Ixia one of the biggest tourist settlements, back to the cruise ship. If you prefer to be taken to the Medieval City for independent browsing, you will be responsible for returning on foot to the ship, docked about a quarter-mile away.
Duration: 8:00 hours. Usually we spend one hour in Lindos, but it depends on you for how long you need to visit Lindos. To climb up it takes 10 - 15 min, to look 30 min.
Availability:mid April - mid October.
Activity Level: Moderate
Departure Time: Depend on your cruise ship dock time. If the ship arrives late into port, we’ll adjust our schedules, and the rental time will start from the moment you meet your driver.
Starting Point: We meet at the pier/dock. (or anywhere else)
Excursion Extensions:You can extend or change the itinerary of this private shore excursion as you wish. You may also adjust the tour for a swim at the East Coast (mid-June to mid-September) at a sandy established beach with facilities for changing clothes.
(Stop Pictures) = Stop and get out of the car for pictures from outside of the Sight/building
(Stop Visit Pictures) = Stop and visit - go inside the sight/building for pictures
- Entrance Fees Acropolis of Lindos 12 Euros per person, Seniors 6 Euros per person, Children under 18 years old free, No charge to enter Lindos village.
- To reach the Acropolis of Lindos you will be required to climb 292 steps, or ride on a donkey. The donkey does not eliminate all the steps, there are over 80 to go when you get off the donkey. The donkeys go by a slightly different path so the stairs, and the soles of your shoes, will be quite clean if you wish to walk up. The risers of the stairs are 5-7 inches and the treads 18-24 inches. No handrail on either side.
- If you have elderly people in your group, we can drive them down on the beautiful beach of Lindos have a drink and a nice discuss with the driver and enjoy the panoramic view while they are waiting for you to climb up the Acropolis of Lindos.
- The Valley of the Butterflies actually it is a hillside with two gates. The lower gate is the Main Gate, and the upper gate is the Secondary Gate. You can have a quick look using the Main Gate for around 10 min, but if you want to climb up there is about 60 min of walking time (up and down). For the comfort of our travelers we drive them to the Secondary Gate - upper gate so they can walk down easier (one way) 30 - 40 min. The elderly people in your group they can wait down at the Main Gate, with the driver while you explore the place. There is a small cafe, a refreshment kiosk, and a little gift shop. Entrance fee: (3 Euros Low Season) (5 Euros High Season) per person. Children under 12 years old Free. (Before June 15th and after September 15th we skip the site as no butterflies)
- Filerimos: to visit the Stations of the Cross, the Cross, and the Panoramic Vista is free, to visit the Monastery and the Church, 6 Euros per person, Seniors (with Id or Passport) 3 Euros per person. Children under 18 years old free.
- You may prefer to use ATM machines when you need cash. ATMs are everywhere.
- Rhodes known for Traditional Appetizers, desserts, Wines, the famous handmade Rhodes Pottery - Ceramics and the beautiful Rhodes Beaches.
- More info in Rhodes Private Tours F.A.Q.