Rhodes New Town Tour
The new town of Rhodes developed outside the walls of mediaeval city (North West of the old town) and throbs with life even during offseason.
Modern flats, wide streets, squares, modern shops, government offices, hotels, restaurants and among all these, an important number of buildings, where the Venetian and Gothic elements blend in a neo-colonial and Italianate style.
The new town of Rhodes is an extensive, fairly non-descript modern city and one of the most interesting and picturesque part of the Island.
- The old Mandraki harbor, where according to tradition, the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, once stood.
Two bronze deer statues mark the site, male and female, the island’s symbols, they stand imperiously at the port’s entrance.
- Close to the entrance of the small old harbour stands the fort of Saint Nicholas and near the fortress three stone Byzantines Windmills lend the finishing touch to one of the loveliest views of the town.
- Opposite of the Mandraki harbor we find the “Nea Agora” “New Market” building in neo-colonial style with a large inner courtyard. The ground floor of the market houses a number of cafes and bars, and there are an array of taverns, shops and cafes located in the open area.
- The Metropolitan church of Virgin Mary’s Annunciation – Evagelismos, with amazing wall paintings (by Fotis Kontoglou) and impressive chandeliers. Originally Catholic, now Orthodox, a reproduction (1925) of the old church of St John, which originally stood in the Medieval City and was destroyed in the 1856 explosion.
- The building of “Rhodes Post Office” was built in mid 1920s’, during the first years of the Italian domination - Italian Post Services of Rhodes – “Palazzo delle Poste” its impressive Renaissance Eclecticism architectural style and was designed by the Italian architect Florestano di Fausto.
- The impressive Rhodes Town Hall was built in 1937 during the Italian period by Armando Bernabiti.
- Government Hall. A Venetian, Gothic, and Renaissance style palace with details of the Doges’ Palace in Venice. Today houses the Prefecture of the Dodecanese - “Palazzo del Governo”
- The National Theatre of Rhodes constructed in 1937, during the Italian domination of the island and initially called “Teatro Puccini” in honor of the great Italian composer.
- Grand Hotel of Roses. Built in 1927 and it was the top attraction of the international jet set of the time. Aristotle Onassis, Winston Churchill and Moshe Dayan are but a few of the great names to have graced the halls of the hotel with their presence. Today houses the “Casino Rodos”.
- Aquarium of Rhodes. The building an Art deco design by the Italian architect Armando Bernabiti, was constructed between 1934 and 1935, is a research centre, aquarium and museum. Today is the Hydrobiological Station of Rhodes.